The Alan J Flisher Centre for Public Mental Health in the Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health is seeking to appoint a part-time (20 hours per week) Senior Lecturer to support the MPhil in Public Mental Health, and to conduct other postgraduate supervision in the Centre. The MPhil students attend coursework in research methodology for 3 weeks in January-February each year, after which they return to their home countries to conduct their research under supervision. This will be a 3-year fixed term contract.
- A PhD degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. psychology, public health, social science).
- Skilled in both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- At least 3 years of experience working in public health or mental health research in low resource settings.
- Experience of student teaching and supervision at Masters level.
- Evidence of a publication record in peer-reviewed academic journals.
Experience in supervising at a PhD level would be an advantage.
- Coordinate the annual recruitment and selection of students for the MPhil in Public Mental Health.
- Coordinate the teaching for the coursework component of the MPhil programme
- Distance supervision and support for students in the MPhil programme in their home countries, including providing oversight of protocol development, literature reviews, data collection, analysis and write-up for publication.
- Supervision of Doctoral students
- Facilitating collegial relations and team building both at UCT and internationally.
The annual remuneration package, including benefits, is negotiable between R289 509 and R417 359 (50% FTE).
To apply, please forward the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Vathiswa Mbangi at firstname.lastname@example.org
– UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
– Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Telephone: 021 650 3003
Reference number: E19236
Closing date: 05 July 2019
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php.
For this post we seek particularly to attract Black (i.e. African, Coloured and Indian) South African candidates.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.